Welcome to our wonderful Bistro 1871. The Bistro was created to compliment our existing fine dining restaurant and benefits from a fantastic outlook over the Eden Valley with views of Appleby Castle to the Lake District fells in the distance.
There are French doors which lead out onto our Cumbria in Bloom award winning gardens and patio. The atmosphere is intended to be relaxing, friendly and informal with good quality local produce at affordable prices, appetisers start from just £2.50, starters from £4.95 and main courses from just £9.95.
There is an emphasis on using locally sourced produce with Cumbrian Fell Bred, Lakes Speciality Foods, Shaw's of Wigton, Appleby Creamery and Grapevine Wine Service among our suppliers.
The 1871 name was chosen to keep a link with the original Victorian manor house as it was built in this year. The room has been newly refurbished using local tradesmen and materials where possible with many reclaimed items such as the central down lights which have been sourced from the Concorde hangar.
Take a look at our menu
- Marinated Olives £3.50
- Home-made Houmous with Bread Sticks £3.50
- Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers £3.50
- Selection of all three appetisers to share £8.50
- Soup of the Day £6.50
Served with a bread roll
- Provencale Vegetable & Goats Cheese Salad Starter £7.95 | Main £12.95
Mixed Leaves with roasted vegetables, goats cheese, red onion, cherry tomatoes and house dressing
- Chicken and Duck Liver Parfait Starter £8.75
Our own smooth parfait with Cumberland sauce and toast
- Bistro 1871 Prawn Cocktail £8.95
Norwegian prawns, crispy lettuce, thousand island dressing and lemon.
- Baked Garlic Bread £5.50
Add Cheese: £6.95
- Smokey Bacon Mac and Cheese Starter £6.95 | Main £12.95
Macaroni with 3 cheese sauce and smoked bacon topped with a herb breadcrumb crust.
- Caesar Salad Starter £7.75 | Main £10.95
Classic salad with gem lettuce bacon lardons, croutons, parmesan and our own Caesar dressing
Add Chicken: Starter £9.95 | Main £14.50
- Appleby Manor ploughmans Board £14.75
Home-cooked Ham, Cheese's, Pork Pie, Pickles, Apple and dressed salad.
- Char-Grilled Sirloin of Cumbrian Beef £24.95
Served with hand-cut chips, grilled plum tomato and mushroom
- Tagliatelle Arribiatta £12.95
- Classic Italian dish made with spicy tomato sauce with basil & chilli Add Chicken Breast £14.95
- Cumbrian Beef & Spinach lasagne £14.95
Our own recipe topped with mozzarella cheese and served with garlic bread
- Rich Man's Fish Fingers £15.95
Breaded cod fingers with minted mushy peas, hand-cut chips and tartare sauce.
- Appleby Manor Steak Burger £15.95
6oz Burger, toasted brioche roll, smoked bacon, local blue cheese, hand-cut chips and chilli jam
- Spanish Pork & Chorizo Sausage Casserole £15.95
Pork shoulder, chorizo, peppers, chick peas, onions, garlic and tomatoes
- Chicken & coconut Curry £14.95
Served with rice and naan bread
- Fishermans Pot £15.95
White Flaky fish, hard boiled egg & prawns with creamed leeks topped with a potato cake and grilled smoked Eden chieftain cheese.
- Lakeland Beef Goulash £15.95
Slow-cooked beef with paprika, tomatoes and baby onions topped with lyonnaise potatoes and sour cream
- Hand-Cut Chips £4.50
- Onion Rings £3.95
- House Salad £4.95
- Pan of Peas £2.50
- Bread Rolls £1.95
- Cheese Board £9.25
Selection of local cheese
- Sticky Toffee Pudding £7.50
Topped with butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream
- Banoffee Pie £7.50
Fresh banana, toffee & cream served with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream
- Selection of Ice Cream £6.95
Ask for today’s choice
- Selection of Sorbets £6.95
Ask for today’s choice
- Appleby Manor Strawberry Sundae £7.25
Layers of fresh strawberries with shortbread biscuit, fresh cream, crushed strawberry ice cream and sauce.
- Lemon Tart £7.95
Classic tart glazed with sugar, served with a raspberry coulis and vanilla ice cream
TEAS & COFFEES
- Breakfast Tea/Earl Grey/Peppermint/Fruit Teas £3.00
- Cappuccino, Latte (16oz) £4.25
- Espresso £3.00