History of Appleby Manor Hotel
Appleby Manor Country House Hotel, located in Appleby, Cumbria was built in 1871 for a wealthy solicitor, John Alcock Heelis, and was originally named Garbridge House.
The design of the building was by the noted architect Octavius Hansard and the work was carried out under his supervision. The pink sandstone was cut at the nearby but now disused Heights Quarry and the entire building is lined with 9 inch brickwork. The sitting of the building means the public rooms enjoy unparalleled views over Appleby Castle and the Eden Valley and towards the peaks of the Lake District, Cumbria.
All the internal fittings are of the finest Pitch-Pine with the exception of the Oak Room Restaurant which, naturally, is paneled in English Oak. This room, therefore, has two doors as its main entrance - Oak on the inside and Pitch-Pine on the outside - so that the continuity of the wood is felt whichever part of the building you are in.
At one time the estate covered an extensive acreage and was planned to be completely self sufficient with Walled Gardens, Greenhouses, a Dairy and Stabling.
The building was converted into a hotel in the late 1940s and was renamed Appleby Manor Hotel around 1976 to become one of the best Cumbrian Hotels. The Dunbobbin family purchased the hotel in September 2000 and under took a refurbishment program that has resulted in the hotel being upgraded from AA 3star to AA 4star in October 2007, Appleby Manor Country House Hotel is now one of the finest Lake District hotels in Cumbria.