At Appleby Manor we take our commitment to the environment very seriously, to this end we have enrolled in the Cumbria Business Environment Network and have attained a Gold award and won overall best improved business award, This is an award for organisations and companies that have gone the extra mile in assessing their environmental impact and committing themselves to improvement in their environmental performance through the development of an Environmental Management System (EMS).
The Directors, Managers and staff of the Appleby Manor Hotel recognize and accept that the activities involved in running the business necessarily impinge upon the environment.
In an effort to minimize these effects, the Hotel is committed to a policy of sound and responsible environmental management, leading to a sustainable use of resources and optimal management of waste.
Therefore the Hotel undertakes that it will:
- Ensure that all employees at all levels are aware of the potential environmental effects of their activities and the benefits of improved environmental performance, and will provide specific environmental training to this effect.
- Communicate this policy and promote environmental awareness amongst all employees
- Display this policy statement in a prominent position within the Hotel
- Make this policy statement available to all interested parties on request.
- Endeavor to prevent pollution and comply with all applicable environmental legislation as a minimum standard.
- Promote the principle of sustainable development whereby the present needs of the Hotel will not compromise the abilities of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Adopt a policy of green procurement, taking environmental factors into account in all purchasing and supplier contracts
- Provide locally sourced produce where available and never knowingly use genetically modified ingredients or products.
- Take all measures that are reasonably practical to reduce waste at its source.
- Re-use waste components where it is safe and practicable to do so.
- Recover/recycle those fractions of the waste stream where an outlet is available.
- Dispose of final wastes by the most environmentally suitable means.
- Adopt the practice of responsible energy management through reduced consumption and the encouragement of energy efficiency throughout the business.
- Encourage the use of public transport and provide facilities for the disabled, pedestrians and cyclists.
- Aim for continuous improvement.
The following action have been taken within the business to reduce our impact on the environment.
"We are committed to doing everything in our power to protect and sustain our local,
natural and global environment for future generations" Mike Dunbobbin Owner Appleby Manor Hotel
Minimise our carbon footprint
Reduce the amount of waste going to landfill
Extend our sustainable sourcing
Help improve local businesses and our local community within our supply chain
Take steps to encourage both our guests and employees to lead healthier lifestyles
Educating our guests on car free transport and exploration around our hotels and adhering to the Countryside Code.
We record energy usage allowing accurate monitoring of our energy consumption and energy saving initiatives.
Rolling program to replace all bulbs with Led lights
In March 2013 a bio-fuel energy system which uses locally sourced wood chips was installed reducing CO2 emissions by 100 tons per annum.
We have drilled our own water bore hole so are self sufficient in water, reducing transportation and glass bottle waste.
All glass and cardboard is recycled.
Composting system installed for 50% of food waste
Voltage optimiser installed to save 10% of electricity used.
We use low-energy bulbs where possible.
We change bed linen after the second night unless requested..
Kettles are of 1 litre capacity or less to save energy boiling water that is not required.
All water from our own bore hore and water heated by the bio-mass boiler.
To reduce detergent and water usage, we only change towels when requested.
Our toilet rolls are certified100% British recycled.
We provide large eco-pump bottles of bathroom toiletries to minimise wastage.
We have an online and telephone booking system which enables us to send all correspondence via email, reducing paper and postage miles.
Guests are able to view bedrooms, sample restaurant menus, facilities and full live bedroom availability for up to 12 months ahead on our website, reducing print materials.
All used paper is either re-cycled or shredded for lighting our open fires.
Wood on our open fires is from local felled trees.
We have electric bikes available to rent with local routes and maps
Doorstep guides produced for guests to encourage walks from the hotel and less car usage.
Electric car charging point installed for guests
Food & Beverage:
We use only British meats
All our Cheeses come from local dairies
Our fresh fish products are from sustainable resources
We use locally sourced products wherever possible.
We use a local brewery to offer a selection of real ales both on draught and in bottle form.
All our wines and spirits are sourced locally.
To the best of our knowledge, all of our products are GM free products.
On our doorstep:
Appleby Manor, with the help of our guests, have contributed over £3500 to Nurture Lakeland conservation projects, like the red squirrel conservation trust.
This policy statement will be reviewed annually to ensure that it remains applicable to the activities of the Hotel and any agreements made between the Hotel and its stakeholders.
Signed: Mike Dunbobbin
Date: 24th July 2013